Sunday, 16 November 2014

Day 6 - Membrane and Lower Shelf Started

Day 6 and I've started the membrane and lower shelf.  You may have gathered this isn't actually day 6, more like Part 6.  Anyways, my son's birthday is coming up and we need to move boxes back downstairs.  Nothing like a deadline for motivation.

The plan is to cover the entire bedrock area with 2 large shelves.  We'll get a lot of storage and usable space.  Part of the lower shelf will also eventually be home for the washer and dryer.  Right now you have to walk up a hill to access the dryer, it'll be nice to get the dryer to a usable location.

If you haven't already, catch up with this project by reading about the first three days of work (clicking will open the link in a new window):
Day 1 -  Chipping out a the sump
Day 2 - Chipping out the perimeter trenches
Day 3 - Placing the Waterguard and dimpled membrane
Day 4 - Plumbing the sump and taping the membrane
Day 5 - Pouring the concrete floor


I used a 6 mil polyethylene membrane, with the goal of reducing moisture coming from the bedrock encroachment in the basement.  The vapour barrier was tacked to the wall with acoustic sealant, then firmly attached with strapping.  I used the Ramset nailer again. 


The lower shelf will sit on a short wall.  I laid out pressure treatment 2x4's for the base plate to get the initial alignment as shown below.  I used PT since it's touching the bedrock floor and there may be some moisture seeping from the bedrock.


I used a laser level to shine a line across the bedrock to see what the lower shelf height would be.

 Here you can see a slightly better view.  The laser level was really handy to find the wall / shelf height.  Basically the shelf will be just a tiny bit higher than the highest point of the lower part of the bedrock.


With the wall height known, I rigged up small fence on my chop as seen below.  It lets me make fast repeatable cuts by just sliding the wood to the stop block and chopping.

A quick check was made before I went ahead and cut all the wall supports.

Once I had the wall supports, I  fastened them to the base plate PT 2x4's.

Flipped over the wall, and marveled at how fast this was going.  The base was secured to the bedrock floor using the ramset fasteners again.

I'm really starting to appreciate the speed of the concrete nail fasteners.  Here is a quick video of securing a support post under the frame, using the concrete nails / ramset and a palm nailer.



The lower shelf is 5' feet deep.  So, it'll hold a lot of stuff, the washing machine, driyr, and be the access for the upper shelf.  In order to stand us to the load, I built the shelf fairly strong, starting with a doubled up 2x4 beam at the top of the wall.   At this point it started to sink in I was using a lot of lumber for one little "shelf".  Thinking about it a bit more, then lower shelf is basically a large deck, 23' x 5' to be precise.

I used some temporary supports to keep the frame level and started adding the joists.  I got to use my palm nailer for the joist hangers so I was happy about that.  It's a fun tool I don't get to use too often.



Here is a photo of part of the lower level, with the membrane installed underneath as well.  To secure the membrane at the bottom, I tucked it in behind the waterguard drainage channel and held it in place with drainage stone.



Here is a photo showing supports under the span.  I put them there because this is where the washing machine will end up being, so I wanted to to be well supported.



If you haven't already, catch up with this project by reading about the first three days of work (clicking will open the link in a new window):
Day 1 -  Chipping out a the sump
Day 2 - Chipping out the perimeter trenches
Day 3 - Placing the Waterguard and dimpled membrane
Day 4 - Plumbing the sump and taping the membrane
Day 5 - Pouring the concrete floor


No comments:

Post a Comment