Original design, pre permit. In the end, we dropped a footing since we only have 3 support columns, there was a double ledger, and I had to add blocking underneath each column so the 4x4's had a minimum 3" bearing surface. Mostly everything else was completed as per the 3D drawing below. I also made some fancy CAD plans and such. The permit department was quite happy with the level of detail.
Now for some photos.
14. This was a small test to start seeing how the skirting would come together.
15. Pouring a small concrete landing for steps.
16. We used tongue and groove pine. To hopefully help them last longer, they were pre-treated with a water proof stain.
17. It's really starting to come together. The skirting was all hand made. It took weeks. Really, construction was 1 week total, the finishing took the time. For the skirting, I cut cedar fence boards, rounded all vertical edges with a router, then started constructing.
18. Closer and closer to being done. You can see the back posts added now.
19. The railings are half done as well. The pickets are 1x1 cedar. Pocket screwed fasten the top railing to the posts so you can't see any screws on the top railing. The top railing is also cedar, routed into a nice profile.